- How old is Sunset Shimmer?
- If she is not at least ten years older than the rest of the main cast, how can that possibly work?
Sunset Shimmer leapt into a world where she had no resources other than what she could carry with her through the portal. Even if she was foresighted enough to bring a bag of gold coins, that surely would be insufficient to carry her indefinitely. Moreover, melting the coins or defacing them sufficiently might allow her to try using them without immediate questions, but it’s very difficult in the modern world to keep doing that without eventual questions.
- Where did/does she live and how does she afford it now? Apparently this may be explored at some point. We shall see.
- How did/does she escape the attention of the Department of Social Services or its equivalent?
- Where is the Sunset Shimmer native to the human world during all this?
The portal opens for three days every “thirty moons” (about two and a half years), and the mirror apparently has been kept in a windowless storage chamber of the remote Crystal Empire since not long after the latter’s reappearance.
- How could Sunset Shimmer find out about the Elements of Harmony and Princess Twilight Sparkle?
- How could she find out about Twilight’s conveniently timed trip to the mirror’s proximity?
Princess Celestia seems to be immortal; Principal Celestia almost certainly is not. Twilight Sparkle is mystified by the presence of the Sirens centuries after their banishment, which implies they too are not immortal. In turn these points suggest the portal’s existence in the human world can be measured in years or decades, not centuries.
- If time flows differently between the two worlds, why does it not continue to do so? For this I have a speculation—albeit a bit convoluted—that also offers a potential reason why the portal was open only for short periods. During the three days in the cycle when the portal is open, time passage clearly seems to be synchronized between the two worlds. Perhaps, if those three days pass without the portal being used, time passage until the next open period becomes unsynchronized, and much more time passes in Equestria than in the human world. On the other hand, if the portal is used, the next closed period is synchronized. This doesn’t explain the initial discrepancy in technology and such, but that can be hand-waved away.
- The Sirens are referred to explicitly as teen-age girls; what happened to them after they were defeated?